Wednesday, June 27, 2007

This wateremelon was planted as part of a three sisters group. It is doing a good job of shading the ground. I plant these in a tire like the one in the foreground. Behind the corn is the swiss chard that is coming back after being eaten by rabbits. The zuccini row is also behind the corn. I will be having some more zuccini tonight as I saw at least two that were ready to pick. Under the baskets are beets. I'm very pleased with the results of planting in tires, the seedlings are protected by the tire until they are large enough to stand some nibbles by rabbits and quail. The critters don't seem to go inside the tires to eat the seedlings even if I leave them uncovered. When I remove the tire I plant another group and the crop should be continuous. Hopefully clear into December.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: