Thursday, March 7, 2013

Update of events.

I can't believe it's been over a year and a half since I have posted.  My camera went down, my computer went down and I was busy gardening. 

I had an abundant garden and ate almost exclusively from it throughout the Spring and Summer.  By the end of Summer the heat had worn me down but I gathered pumpkins, tomatoes, and winter squashes to use throughout the winter.  I had many turns with weeds and finally by the end of the season crab grass had taken hold in much of the garden.  I am  now cleaning out the crab crass row by row and will begin planting again this month. I hope to add more mulch.  I have chickens that lay plenty of eggs for me and I continue to give them to neighbors, food banks and family.  My son brought me a cat and before I could get her spayed she had 4 kittens.  I now have 5 full grown cats that are indoor, outdoor cats and are doing a wonderful job of making the critters,especially the antelope squirrels leave me some fruit and nuts.  I had an abundant crop of pistachios this year. 

My faithful companion, my dog Manna died this summer and is in a grave behind one of the trees.  She had been with me for 12 + years and I don't know how old she was when I rescued her. She got one last swim in Burro Creek pond before she died.  That was a happy day for her and I like remembering it.  

My son went to California to finish raising his youngest son through highschool so I am again on my own and getting older.  Not as easy for me anymore at close to 75.  

The fruit and nut trees are coming out of a harsh cold this winter.  The Pluets, Apricots, and Almonds are now blooming and one Apple.  Many of the other trees are beginning to bud.  

I sold my goats this winter after I struggled through hand feeding one billy and the other billy the mother accepted.  I realized that many of my injuries were goat related.  A broken ankle, a twisted knee, an attack by invading dogs that cracked my rib.  

Last summer I was able to plant more native trees and many of them are growing and filling in the gaps between the fruit and nut trees.  I now want to plant in bunches, with a variety of the permaculture plant guilds.  I hope to expand the food forest from that point.  I replaced a Santa Rosa plum that died after a rain at 5 years.  I fear the reports of poisoning from arial spraying known as Chemtrails is true as the tree died so suddenly after a heavy rain.  The replaced Santa Rosa was planted with sweet potatoes and peanuts and I hope to add alflafa for mulch.  

I now have a refurbished computer my son sent me and I hope to get a camera set up soon too so I can post pictures.  Life goes on.  

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

I have your blog bookmarked and check it now and again so I was very happy to see you are posting again. I look forward to more posts and hopefully some pictures.
Bless you! :)

Anonymous said...

I am pleased that you are able to post again. I find it hard to imagine a non-IT life.

Animals can stay with us through many years and seem to be a fixed point. I hope that cats are a source of pleasure.

Debra said...

I discovered your blog today and was so pleased to find it! My husband and I moved from our little farm in 2011, so it's lovely reading about what you're doing at yours. I was sorry to read about the passing of your dog--it's so hard to lose pets! But it sounds as though he had a good long life with you. Please keep updating us with your farm activities for you are a delightful writer! Blessings, Debra

squire said...

Very pleased to see you post again!

Unknown said...

I have your blog bookmarked and check it now and again so I was very happy to see you are posting again. I look forward to more posts and hopefully some pictures. Droid4apk

Shane Bond said...

This site provides a new experience for me. I can learn so many useful things from here.
Assignments On Web